How to make my own .debs

Is there a simple way for someone to make his own .deb from a downloaded tarball? I've read the "New Maintainer's Guide" but that doesn't seem to be geared toward the Average Joe who wants to make one or two informal .debs.

I'm not interested in building tarballs that are apt-get'able. For instance, I may want to build a CVS version of a program.

I've been using Slackware, where I: ./configure, make, make DESTDIR=$TEMPDIR install, then create my Slackware .tgz. Very simple. What is the Debian way of doing this?

I've noticed that some tarballs already have a debian/ directory. What is the build process when this occurs?

Thanks,
Dave