Re: What happened to the Compose Key?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:40:09 +0200, Pigeon wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 01:52:26PM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
>> How could I get my right alt key (which as far as I can tell does
>> nothing at present) to imitate the left alt key?
>
> I have ~/.Xmodmap containing:
>
> keycode 0x40 = Alt_L
> keycode 0x71 = Alt_L
>
> However this doesn't seem to be a complete solution. It works for
> enabling either Alt key to be used in Ctrl-Alt-F<n> combinations to
> switch VCs. But Alt-F to access the File menu, for example, has to be
> left Alt (in eg. mozilla and kword), and Alt-left-mouse-button to drag a
> window (in blackbox) also has to be left Alt.

Most probably, you didn't add your shiny new Alt key to the modifier map.
(Invoking xmodmap without arguments prints the modifier map.)  It's been a
while since I used xmodmap, so don't take this as definitive advice:

keycode 0x40 = Alt_L
keycode 0x71 = Alt_L
clear mod1
add mod1 = 0x40
add mod1 = 0x71

It's basically the same with the newer XKB interface, although the exact
syntax is different of course.

> It seems the most complete solution is to dismantle the keyboard and
> rewire

:-)

--
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!