Re: 2.6.4 kernel install wants to remove current kernel

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:41:54PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| on Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:47:26PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson insinuated:
| > On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 12:32:10PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
[...]
| > | how, then, should i go about installing the kernel image?
| >
| > Try aptitude.  Trace through the Depends/Conflicts and figure out
| > what's wrong.  Something must be conflicting somewhere.  (maybe you
| > just need to upgrade modutils while you install module-init-tools?)
|
| after a bit of poking in aptitude, which was very noninformative,

It may take a little getting used to, but aptitude combines the data
available from 'apt-cache show' and 'apt-cache policy' in a way that
is navigable.  What I would have done in your situation is gone to the
'modutils' package.  Press enter to view the package's details.  Some
line in that view would most likely have been red indicating broken or
magenta indicating will-be-removed.  Scrolling through the display you
can see what packages and versions are in the depends and conflicts
tags for that package as well as the list of what packages (and
versions) depend on or conflict with the current package.  In
hindsight, I now know that it would have shown that module-init-tools
conflicts with modutils <= 2.4.21-1 and your modutils fit that
criteria (hence apt-get wanted to remove it to solve the conflict).

| i tried your suggestion of upgrading modutils (from 2.4.15-1 to
| 2.4.26-1) -- beautiful.  then the 2.6.4 kernel image goes on without
| trying to remove everything and its mother.

Lucky guess.  :-).  At least it worked for you.

| of course, i've totally failed to show the slickness of apt to my
| coworker, because as soon as i booted up with 2.6.4, my mouse (neither
| USB nor PS2) didn't work, and i wasn't online.  (right now, i've
| reverted to 2.4 to type this :-P).  surely the 2.6 kernel comes with
| USB support compiled in?  am i just going to have to suck it up and
| roll my own kernel?

I'm using the stock 2.6 kernel on 5 machines.

There are some differences from 2.4, though, mainly in the module and
device driver organization.  Some key differences, and probably the
ones you are running into, :
    2.4         2.6
    ---         ---
    usb-uhci    uhci-hcd
    usb-ohci    ohci-hcd
    usb-ehci    ehci-hcd
                psmouse     (the PS/2 mouse driver is in a module now)

I haven't noticed any changes in networking, but that might be
dependent on the hardware and what modules I already had configured to
be loaded.

HTH,
-D

--
But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15