Re: mozilla-firefox 0.8-5 cant add bookmark

John M Flinchbaugh <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:31:34PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> > Hi list, ever since I upgraded to mozilla-firefox 0.8-5, I cant
> bookmark any
>> > page. This is totally reproducible on my box, everytime I click
> "Bookmark this
>> > page" on any random page, a warning dialog pops up saying:
>> > XML Parsing Error: not well formed
>> > Location: chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/addBookmark2.xul
>> > Line Number 1, Column 1:
>>
>> Check out $TMPDIR/content/browser/bookmarks/addBookmark2.xul
>>
>> As the error message indicates, the XML file is not properly formatted
>> because for some reason it starts with a '*'.  The original file is
>> located in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/chrome/browser.jar so you can
>> extract the file from there (it's a zip archive) and verify the
> contents
>> (should start with "<?xml version="1.0"?>" ...)
>>
>> I'm guessing the file isn't getting extracted properly, probably due
>> the device on which $TMPDIR is located being out of space.  You could
>> also try clearing $TMPDIR and rerunning firefox.

[...]
> i'll have to keep an eye on /tmp next time when it happens.  i
> had seen similar things with mozilla several months ago, and i
> fixed it by overwriting the packaged files with the ones from
> mozilla's binary distribution on their site.

Actually, I think I was full of crap when I was talking about $TMPDIR.
I think the stuff in there I saw was stuff I had manually extracted
there.

It will still help to keep an eye on the .jar files in
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/chrome though.

--
You win again, gravity!