Microsoft Truetype fonts not working now?

I just tried to install Microsoft TrueType fonts on my laptop via the
msttcorefonts package. All seemed to go off correctly and the fonts
appeared where expected in /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/
I also modified /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as instructed to reflect the above
path. I also tried "xset fp rehash".

However, the fonts do not show up with xfontsel and when starting X I
get an error message about not being able to init the above path.

Does this mean that Microsoft has inactivated these fonts so that they
no longer work?

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic