Re: Maxtor IDE controller cards not working

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:11:05AM -0500, Greg wrote:

> I have a pc that I use as a fileserver and I have recently migrated it
> from RH 7.3 to Debian Woody (with some stuff from Sarge and Sid in
> it).  I have 6 disks in the pc as follows:
>
> System/OS	/dev/hda	4.2 GB
> data		/dev/hdo	40 GB
> data		/dev/hdm	80 GB
> data		/dev/hde	203 GB
> data		/dev/hdi	203 GB
> data		/dev/hdk	203 GB
>
> I want to set up 3 disk RAID 5 array using mdadm and software raid.
> RH had no problem with it so I know it can be done.  The disks that I
> used are recognized on the box as hde, hdi, and hdk.  I can use fdisk
> to recognize hde, but fdisk will not recognize any other disk on the
> pc.  As you can see from the dmesg, I am using several Maxtor
> controller cards  (they came with the hard drives) - 1 hard drive per
> bus, each set as a master.  During startup the BIOS gives the
> appropriate messages on the hard drives and the dmesg seems to suggest
> that the system at least can identify them. However, I cannot use 4 of
> the 6 disks in my pc.  If I can mount and format them then I am sure I
> can set up the RAID array on the 3 I use for a RAID array

Have you checked to see if the device nodes exist in /dev?  I suspect
you will find that they don't.  On the system I just checked it stops at
/dev/hdh20, beyond that you would need to create them.  Alternatively
you could look into devfs.

--
Jamin W. Collins

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith