Re: Holy Shee-it

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:42:57PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:31:06PM -0500, Richard Hoskins wrote:
> > I think it is probably more than 10% if you include Outlook.  Outlook
> > is a must-have for organizations that are already heavily invested in
> > Exchange servers.
>
> Isn't koffice/kmail/knode more or less a drop-in replacement for MS
> Office/Outlook at this point?

Nope.  The closest replacement possible (TMK) is Evolution (with
Exchange plugin) and Open Office.  However, the Evolution plugin only
works with Exchange 2000 or later.  There are still shops running
Exchange 5.5 that use specific Exchange functions not accessible from
other MUAs.  Sure there are better MTAs to use than Exchange, but when
you're talking about a drop in replacement at the desktop level
(Office/Outlook) you need to look at 100% (or near 100%) functionality
replication.

--
Jamin W. Collins