Re: Problem getting sound to work

Mark Healey wrote:

That was a disaster.  I installed the package [gmix] and there were no
errors.  I then typed gmix and the the top and bottom task bars
stopped responding to mouse clicks or redrawing when something is
placed over them and subsequently moved.  Fortunately I still had the
terminal window open and was able to shutdown.  Upon restarting and
relogining the control center and terminal window were open again but
not indicated in the bottom taskbar.  Again the bottom taskbar wasn't
responding to mouse clicks.

I uninstalled gnome-media and the problem persists.

This problem doesn't exist if I login as a normal user.

As it stands now if I login as root the control center and a terminal
window are open and the task bars at the top and bottom are useless so
the only way I know of to logout is to shutdown and then login as a
normal user.

It looks like some gnome settings got hosed.

This is starting to feel alot like working on a Windows machine.

What I need to know now is how do I get the gnome settings for the
root account back to where they were before this started.

Please leave this.  It is a filter term.
ferulebezel

Assuming you don't mind going back to the system defaults for root's Gnome settings:

cd /root
ls -al
rm -rf [anything gnome-related]

--