Re: [OT] Bruce Perens talks to BBC

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:57:15PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Dave's List Addy wrote:
> >Yeah Right! With world opinion of the US, many are lucky that the 12.9 is
> >even given.
>
> >Charity starts at home.
>
>     Charity is not coerced.  How much of those figures is actual charity
> and how much are just the different states spending their populations money
> with little to no say from the population on where their $x/person goes?
>
>     I almost guarentee that "my" $55/person (which given my pay scale is
>     more like $110 from me) is most certainly not going where I'd even remotely
> want it to go.

It's only $44/person now.  I was suggesting the increase to $55.

One might also question the methodology of calculating these figures --
do they include private or church aid?  do commercial activities provide
"aid"?  Maybe the picture is different that way, who knows?
Although these #s sound like what is reported on the news.

I personally wouldn't mind a tax increase of $11/year to cover it.
It would be neat if they presented my tax bill as a line item!