Re: Derivative effects.

Hi,

* Haines Brown wrote (2004-01-25 13:21):
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:43:56PM -0800, Day Brown wrote:
>> > Linux comes from Unix, which was designed for mainframes.
>> > windows comes from dos, which was designed for personal desktops.
>>
>> Well technically Unix was designed for mid-sized computers...
>
>And wasn't DOS designed for the workstation? The adaptation of DOS for
>personal use I associate with Windows 3.1, while OS/2 was a
>(object-oriented) GUI for the workstation.

Nope, OS/2 is the operating system and was supposed to replace DOS.
The GUI is called Presentation Manager, and the first versions of
Windows were in fact called Presentation Manager for DOS. The desktop
is Workplace Shell and I'm still missing some of its features.

>I kind'a miss DOS.

With a decent shell it might have been just endurable.

Thorsten
--
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall
one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.