Re: Derivative effects.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:43:56PM -0800, Day Brown wrote:
> Linux comes from Unix, which was designed for mainframes.
> windows comes from dos, which was designed for personal desktops.

Well technically Unix was designed for mid-sized computers...

> I *never* get told I dont have 'permission' to access a floppy. which is
> what a dos/win user would expect. The Unix people run networks, and dont
> mess with floppies, so they dont notice the problem. Unless you tell it
> otherwise, it will default to the dos file system so you can take the
> floppy to a dos/win machine. Which is prolly why you want to use it
> anyway. With corel/debian, I dont havta 'mount' a floppy. Click on the
> gui file manager, and theres a "+" to click on for the floppy or cdrom;
> rw floppy access is the *default* just as a single user of dos/win would
> expect. I dunno why so many distros just dont get this either.

You get the same thing in gnome, there's a little applet that you can
add to click on and get cdrom/floppy inserted.

> Yes, Linux is terrific for networks. And if you are a sysad, by all
> means rely on it. If however, you are trying to run a single user
> desktop, then the whole business of having to logon and enter your
> password are a pain in the rectal orifice. With Corel, all I havta do is
> hit [CR] to accept the blank pw and bring me to my desktop. I'd prefer
> that it went automatically to my desktop like dos does, but it aint too
> bad. If I want root, I dont bother to login as root, but use su in a
> terminal. But lotsa distros just do not get it. Perhaps, as home
> networks become more common, this will be more acceptable, but even
> then, most of us in the home have "our" computer, and they have theirs,
> and we still dont need the logon process.

I do the same thing for GDM and login for my Debian system at home.
Have to modify the files:
/etc/pam.d/gdm
and
/etc/pam.d/login

to allow login without a password.

GDM (the login program for gnome) can even auto-log you into your
account, but I don't want that since other people also use my
computer.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>