Re: USB and IDE-SCSI devices not showing up (migration from Mandrake to Debian testing).

On Saturday 24 January 2004 10:20, Andreas Janssen wrote:

>>> Did you mount the usbdevfs? Add this to your fstab:
>>>
>>> usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

Done.

>>> Did you rerun lilo?
>>
>> Well, I rebooted!
>
> That doesn't mean anything. You must rerun lilo to save the changes to
> your bootloader configuration.

Sorry: this is the first time I've had to deal with these things manually.
I've now run "/sbin/lilo" as root -- is that simple form sufficient to
carry the changes from lilo.conf into the actual boot process?

>>> What does dmesg | grep cd say? What does dmesg |
>>> grep command say?

Now:
/home/adam $ dmesg |grep cd
hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdd: attached ide-cdrom driver.

/home/adam $ dmesg |grep command
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux root=301 hdd=ide-scsi

> See? That should be "auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux root=301 hdc=ide-scsi
> hdd=ide-scsi". Obviously it isn't. Rerun lilo. Or, as you use a module
> configuration, add the following line to some file in /etc/modutils/
> (/etc/modutils/ide-cd for erxample):

There is no such file, so I'll assume you mean I should create one.

> options ide-cd ignore=hdc ignore=hdd

I know hdd CD-RW needs to use ide-scsi in order for cdrecord to work, but
hdc is a DVD/CD-reader -- would you recommend setting that up as a SCSI
device too?

Thanks,
Adam