RE: ssh stopped working

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Minar [mailto:Jan.Minar@seznam.cz]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:11 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ssh stopped working

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:42:23PM -0600, Michael Martinell wrote:
> I changed the password of the root user and restarted the machine and am
now
> unable to locally or remotely connect using ssh clients.
<snip>

(0) Perhaps the restart of your machine was what was the cause: maybe you
configured the running system, but didn't alter the configfiles?
(1) See if sshd is really listening there: netstat -a; nc localhost ssh
(2) Are you sure you looked in the appropriate logfile?  The default one
is /var/log/auth.log
(3) Sniff on the connection using tcpdump(8) or friends
(4) Maybe it's not the server, but the client where the problem lies?
(5) Debugging both sshd & ssh with strace(1), you can get a really
detailed picture of what's going on; combine with (3).

HTH,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9

(0) I have restarted the machine several times before without a problem.  I
have actually not worried much about the server side of ssh since I
installed it, and the installer set it up.
(1) ssh was not listening, Even when I run sshd -d I don't see anything.  On
another machine where ssh words, I see the expected output, so I know I
typed it in correctly.
(2) I tail -f this logfile.  The only time it came up with a new entry was
when the connection was successful during the sshd -d  This entry stated
that the connection was successful for root.
(3) I used tcpdump and saw the ssh request being made by my client computer.
Since ssh wasn't actually listening it did not respond.  When in debug mode
I also saw the ssh connection.
(4) I can connect in debug mode.
(5) I did the strace, and it is very detailed.  I compared it to a strace
from another machine where ssh works, and I don't see any significant
differences.  Is there anything I should be looking at specifically?