Re: ssh stopped working

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:42:23PM -0600, Michael Martinell wrote:
> I changed the password of the root user and restarted the machine and am now
> unable to locally or remotely connect using ssh clients.
<snip>

(0) Perhaps the restart of your machine was what was the cause: maybe you
configured the running system, but didn't alter the configfiles?
(1) See if sshd is really listening there: netstat -a; nc localhost ssh
(2) Are you sure you looked in the appropriate logfile?  The default one
is /var/log/auth.log
(3) Sniff on the connection using tcpdump(8) or friends
(4) Maybe it's not the server, but the client where the problem lies?
(5) Debugging both sshd & ssh with strace(1), you can get a really
detailed picture of what's going on; combine with (3).

HTH,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9