Re: Newbie Install Question

Hello

mike.strickland@micromeritics.com (<mike.strickland@micromeritics.com>)
wrote:

> I am new to Debian and also not highly experienced with Linux.  I've
> successfully installed Red Hat and Mandrake and am now trying to learn
> about Debian
>
> I downloaded the ISO images for Woody and my next step will be to try
> to install it.  I am confused about one thing.  For Disk 1 there is an
> image for what looks like disk 1 and there is also an "update" disk 1.
> It looks like the update disk is revision 2.1 of the 3.0 version and
> the first one just revision 2.

There are three versions of the Stable release:

3.0r0 (the original one, August 2001)
3.0r1 (released December 2001)
3.0r2 (releases end of 2002)

If you downloaded the ISO images recently, you don't need the update CD.
It is for users of 3.0r1.

> It looks like the update is a full 650 megs or so.  Do I install the
> "Disk 1" and then the "Disk 1 update", or do I only install the update
> disk 1?

The way to use it would be to install from the original CD set (normally
CD 1) and then insert the other CDs and the update CD later during the
update process when you are asked for them to be scanned for packages.
You can also later add CDs using the apt-cdrom command.

> Second question:  There is a "Disk 1 NON-US" image.  What is it for?

That one has software that may not be exported from the US. You should
it instead of the other one. If you already downloaded the US image,
don't download the other one as well. Instead, tell apt at the end of
the installation that you want to use non-us software or add this line
to your sources.list:

deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
non-free

That way you can download the packages without downloading the whole ISO
image.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--