Re: apt-get dist-upgrade

Paul Morgan wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:13:11 +0100, kegwasher wrote:
>
>> Help.
>>
>> I seem to have developed a problem during my update.  The mirror selected
>> must be overwhelmed or just slow.  My update time remaining is swinging
>> from 7hrs to 4days!  Is is possible to stop and restart without causing a
>> mess?
>>
>> Relatively familiar with Linux, used since 94, but this is my first
>> machine
>> to play with debian.  So far very impressed with debian overall.
>>
>> details of machine.
>>
>> hardware, box stock toshiba tecra8000 laptop of 400mhz PII fame.
>> neomagic video
>> opl3sa2 audio
>> 64megs ram, yah I know it is not much but it runs most things fine.
>> 6gig HD
>> removable CDrom, floppy or LS-120
>>
>> Current Os, Debian woody, attempted final OS, Debian Sarge.
>> only added packages are opera, openoffice, flash plugin, java, and
>> realplayer.
>
> You don't say how you're connecting, but I guess it might be dialup and
> you have a noisy line with lots of retries or your modem's negotiated a
> slow speed or both.
>
> It's OK to just control-C the update to kill it. Suggest you redial and
> try again (just run apt-get update again and it'll pick up where it left
> off).

That's the problem.  I am on ADSL 768k/s.  on another machine on the same
internal net things fly but on my laptop, it is molasis.  I crosses my
fingers last night and did the control-C.  glad it is smart.  Very much
like apt-get.  My worry comes from Red Hats update tool once failing part
way and trashing things beyond belief with failed dependencies.