Re: pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP

Hello

Valvanuz Fernandez (<valvaluz@yahoo.es>) wrote:

> I have a problem with pppd. When I try to start de daemon I get the
> following message:
>
>> pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  This could be
>> because the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was
>> not
>> included in the kernel configuration.  If PPP was included as a
>> module, try `/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'.  If that fails, check that
>> ppp.o exists in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net.
>> See README.linux file in the ppp distribution for more details.
>
> I don't have the module ppp.o on my computer, and if I search it with
> apt-file, I don't find any one for my kernel version  2.4.18-bf2.4.
> Where can I get that module?
>
> There is a module loaded called ppp_generic that I don't know if it's
> the same as ppp.

Try to load it, as well as ppp_async. The Kernel you use definitely has
PPP support. Normally the module should be loaded automatically. To
make this possible, the pppd package contains the following file:

andreas@sirius:~$ cat /etc/modutils/ppp
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

Check if you have it. If you don't, create it. Next run update-modules
to save the changes to /etc/modules.conf.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen