pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP

Hello:
I have a problem with pppd. When I try to start de daemon I get the
following message:

> pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  This could be because
> the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not
> included in the kernel configuration.  If PPP was included as a
> module, try `/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'.  If that fails, check that
> ppp.o exists in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net.
> See README.linux file in the ppp distribution for more details.

I don't have the module ppp.o on my computer, and if I search it with
apt-file, I don't find any one for my kernel version  2.4.18-bf2.4. Where
can I get that module?

There is a module loaded called ppp_generic that I don't know if it's the
same as ppp.

>>lsmod | grep ppp
 ppp_generic            19512   0  (autoclean)
 slhc                        4432   0  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]

The  versión of the ppp packages are the following:

 ppp                        2.4.2+20031127
 pppconfig  	2.2.0

Thank you
Valva