Re: On your upgrade from woody to sarge

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 11:27:46PM -0600, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
> 	I was wondering if the apt-get dist-upgrade would also upgrade the
> kernel, too.  Sourceforge makes it sound easy.

In Debian, kernel upgrades are special. They only happen if you
specifically request them. This is intentional. It is the considered
opinion of the Debian leadership that it should not be automatic. But
it is really easy.  Once you have done a dist-upgrade to get to Sarge,
you can, in a speparate step, download and install a new kernel. But,
you need to read the directions. A new kernel does require restarting
your computer. It does require making sure that lilo or grub is
properly changed to startup using the new kernel. And it is important
to have them set up to allow you to boot back into your old kernel.
All this is covered in the instructions. Read them first. Then it is
easy. And _don't_ read instructions for another distribution and think
they apply to Debian.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net