Re: creating images

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 14:31, James LeClair wrote:
> Can someone recomend an app, and maybe linkage to docs, for creating an
> image of system partition? As well, what about restoring the image in
> case of disaster/emergency?
>
> I just spent the whole weekend rebuilding 2 routers and 1 server:-( Good
> learning experience, but at my age, I'd prefer to spend it with wifey
> and baby:-)

partimage

apt-cache show partimage:

Linux/UNIX utility to save partitions in a compressed image file
Partition Image is a Linux/UNIX partition imaging utility: it saves
partitions
in the Ext2FS  (the linux standard), ReiserFS (a new journaled and
powerful
file system), NTFS (Windows NT File System)  or FAT16/32 (DOS & Windows
file
systems) file system formats to an image file. Only used blocks are
copied.
The image file can be compressed in the GZIP/BZIP2 formats to save disk
space,
and split into multiple files to be copied onto removable media (ZIP for
example), burned on a CD-R, etc.

This makes it possible to save a full Linux/Windows system with a single
operation.  In case of a problem (virus, crash, error, etc.), you just
have
to restore, and after several minutes, your entire system is restored
(boot, files, etc.), and fully working.

This is very useful when installing the same software on many machines:
just
install one of them, create an image, and just restore the image on all
other
machines. Then, after the first one, each installation is automatic
made,
and requires only a few minutes.
--
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>