Re: NAT & forwarding : only partial connections

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 08:08:36PM +0200, Black Dew wrote:
> Francesco Bochicchio wrote:
>
> >What I do is this:
> >	On the PC : iptables -t NAT -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> AFAIK it should be -t nat (lowercase). Upcase NAT gives the following
> error on my system:

Yes. I wrongly reported the command in my post. But in real life I use
'nat'.

> This sound very much like a mtu/fragments problem. It could be that your
> system send too big packets and something along the way can't handle
> them correctly.

You were right!

 The problem was the following:
- the wireless interface (wlan0) used MTU 1500
- the ADSL interface (ppp0) used 1492
I put an option in /etc/network/interfaces forcing MTU to 1492 for
the wireless interface and everything works again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It is still not clear to me why this was not necessary with the inverted
configuration: as I said in my previous post, using the laptop as router
I was able to connect the PC with internet without problems.
However, ppp0 and wlan0 configurations are the same on both computers.

Anyway, problem solved :-). Thanks again.

Ciao
-----
FB