Re: NAT & forwarding : only partial connections

Francesco Bochicchio wrote:

What I do is this:
	On the PC : iptables -t NAT -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

AFAIK it should be -t nat (lowercase). Upcase NAT gives the following error on my system:

iptables v1.2.11: can't initialize iptables table `NAT': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)

What I get : partial connections. From the laptop, I can ping internet
addresses like www.debian.org and I can resolve host names using my
provider DNS, but this is all. Browsers can 'connect' but do not get the
pages. Fetchmail can 'see' the mail on the provider server, but fails to
download it. And so on. Clearly some packet goes through, some is blocked.
But there is no other iptables rule on either laptop or PC.

This sound very much like a mtu/fragments problem. It could be that your system send too big packets and something along the way can't handle them correctly. try doing the following: on the router do run ifconfig and look for something like:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1460  Metric:1

notice the value of MTU, now on the laptop do

ifconfig <interface-name> mtu <mtu-value>

and try connecting anywhere. If it still doesn't work run on the laptop:

tracepath <some well known site>

look for lines that end up with "pmtu <some number>" and try setting your MTU (with ifconfig) to the lowest one you see.

--
Best regards, Black Dew.