Re: Matlab performance on Linux vs Windows

At Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:14:38 -0500,
Thanhvu Nguyen wrote:

> Hi, I hope my question is not too off topic here since Debian is a popular
> choice in scientific computing lab and therefore hopefully someone will
> have experience with Matlab running on it.  Also since I am considering
> getting Matlab 7.0 on my Debian home machine so probably this is the right
> group to ask in.
>

> My question is about the Performance of Matlab running on Linux vs on
> Windows.  I have seen Matlab 6.5 running on Linux *twice* as slow as on
> Windows, e.g a 30 minute routine runs on Matlab 6.5 Windows take an hour
> or more on Matlab 6.5 Linux (same machine specs of course)
>
> What's your experience ?  how is the performance of Matlab 7.0 on Linux vs
> Windows ?

I've run matlab 6.1, 6.5 and 7.0 on linux and windows. From experience its
faster on linux then on windows as long as you don't hit the swap. Haven't timed
it but I've been told that matlab on linux swap is much slower then on windows
swap for some reason.

On the other hand I tried running the same routine on a 1.3G AMD Athlon laptopn
with 256M ram running linux and on a 1.8G pentium IV with 2G ram running windows
side by side and they finished almost together.

Did you by chance run matlab on a multiuser linux machine? before you compare
times you need to make sure you are not running any intensive processes in the
background as it will throw your timing of. You could also try matlabs profiling
routines to get more reliable timing (taking into account other processes).