Re: Knoppix boot vs debian boot

Hello

Peter Hugosson-Miller (<pehu@im.se>) wrote:
> Jerome Lacoste wrote:
>>
>> long time Debian user, I often use Knoppix for rescue and test
>> operations.
>>
>> There are things that makes the Knoppix boot lean and clean, e.g. the
>> hardware autodetection, etc...
>>
>> But I don't have that on my unstable boxes. So I am wondering if it's
>> a Knoppix special feature or if I don't have installed the required
>> packages or configured them correctly.
>
> Slightly OT, but I've noticed that knoppix never has any trouble
> detecting and starting the sound card, whereas it's always been very
> difficult to get sound working on debian. Is there some sound magic
> going on in the knoppix system that might be helpful?

Debian does have autodetection for sound cards, if you install Sarge.
discover1 and hotplug both should be able to load the drivers. The main
problem was that until recently, ALSA did not work properly because
hotpug and discover loaded the OSS drivers first. This problem has been
solved in the latest versione of alsa-base and discover1. All you need
to do is to install alsa-base, alsa-oss and alsautils, unmute the card
and make sure you are in the audio group. If you want to use the OSS
drivers, hotplug or discover1 should be able to load them as long as
the alsa-base package is not installed.

If you use Woody, make sure your kernel is not too old to support your
card.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270