Re: Backup to dvd

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, David Berg wrote:
> > >either since I plan on doing it shortly (only using half of harddrive
> > >and fdisk for some reason won't let me put a partition on the rest)
> >
> > Did you by any chance create 4 primary partitions of which none is
> > extended?  If so then you should be able to fix the problem by deleting
> > the swap partition and creating an extended partition.  Having done
> > that, you can create an unlimited number of "logical" partitions
> > (including a new swap partition).
> >
> No, I've used computers long enough to know better than that.  Partition
> table copied from fdisk:
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 20.4 GB, 20490559488 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2491 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>    /dev/hda1               1          31      248976   83  Linux
>    /dev/hda2              32          39       64260   82  Linux swap
>    /dev/hda3              40         511     3791340   83  Linux
>    /dev/hda4             512        1138     5036377+   5  Extended
>    /dev/hda5             512         894     3076416   83  Linux
>    /dev/hda6             895        1016      979933+  83  Linux
>    /dev/hda7            1017        1138      979933+  83  Linux
>
> Try to create a new sector and it returns:
>    No free sectors available

This is not because the partition table is full (you're correct, an extended
partition holds up to 16 sub-partitions, and you can have more than one
extended partition in Linux at least... DOS won't like it).

HOWEVER, your extended partition might be full. If it is, just extend it, it
won't bother the sub-partitions.

See if gnu parted can't fix it, it probably can. But be careful.

  Henrique Holschuh