Re: Backup to dvd

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 12:26:49PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> David Berg wrote:
> >Need some help hammering out a tar/mkisofs command to backup my disks to
> >dvd.  I'm looking to burn two root level directories (/home,/var and
> >/usr, /) to they're own dvd.  Problem is I don't have room to build the
> >tarball or iso on the hard disk before I burn it.  Using a command such
> >as
> >
> >mkisofs -R -o backup.iso /home /var
> >
> >looses some directory structure
> >and if I use graft points I loose directory ownership & permission
> >information.  At least I haven't yet figured out how not to.  I also
> >can't figure out how to make mkisofs read from stdin for its directories
> >so that I can have tar pipe its output directly to mkisofs.
>
> You need to use the -stream-media-size option.  RTFM for the details.

The one option I only skimmed over.  I can't seem to find details on
number of sectors though.  I would assume, at least in this case, that I
want to provide a value that would encompas the whole DVD.  I see 333000
a couple times on the net for CDs but I don't see how this number is
calculated or any numbers for DVDs.

> >I'd rather use just mkisofs and have each individual file than one tarball
> >but I don't want to run into any problems with restoring from backup
> >either since I plan on doing it shortly (only using half of harddrive
> >and fdisk for some reason won't let me put a partition on the rest)
>
> Did you by any chance create 4 primary partitions of which none is
> extended?  If so then you should be able to fix the problem by deleting
> the swap partition and creating an extended partition.  Having done
> that, you can create an unlimited number of "logical" partitions
> (including a new swap partition).

No, I've used computers long enough to know better than that.  Partition
table copied from fdisk:

Disk /dev/hda: 20.4 GB, 20490559488 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2491 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   /dev/hda1               1          31      248976   83  Linux
   /dev/hda2              32          39       64260   82  Linux swap
   /dev/hda3              40         511     3791340   83  Linux
   /dev/hda4             512        1138     5036377+   5  Extended
   /dev/hda5             512         894     3076416   83  Linux
   /dev/hda6             895        1016      979933+  83  Linux
   /dev/hda7            1017        1138      979933+  83  Linux

Try to create a new sector and it returns:
   No free sectors available

I didn't realize there was a limit to the number of logical partitions
or I would have made them much larger to begin with.  I find it odd
though that the partition table would be full at 7 and not 8 or 16 etc.

dberg@dale:~$ df
/dev/hda1             236M   50M  175M  23% /
tmpfs                  63M     0   63M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda3             3.6G  2.7G  785M  78% /usr
/dev/hda5             2.9G  2.8G   42M  99% /home
/dev/hda6             942M  134M  761M  15% /var
/dev/hda7             942M  172K  894M   1% /tmp

I could grow /var without much trouble but I'd like to grow /usr as well
and that just isn't going to happen.

Thanks.

Dave