Re: My Blues just go more blue

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 06:11:30PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Ok, I just did a dist-upgrade on my Sid machine and blue text changed.
> I first noticed in mutt that my light blue lines got darker -- I see
> it in the background color in the header line, for example:
>
>   ---Mutt: =lists.debian-user [Msgs:6754 New:6263 Flag:1 Post:47 Inc:1]---(threads/date)------(end)---
>
> Use to be light blue and now it's dark blue.
>
> And when I reply to a message (I use vim as my editor) the quoted text
> whet from a readable light blue text on black background to an unreadable dark
> blue on black background.
>
> What would be the common change?  I realize I don't understand how
> colors from, say, mutt or vim running in an xterm get translated into
> colors on my monitor.  Does mutt say "blue" and then the xterm has to
> translate that somehow?

Mutt:   Curses, please make this blue.

Curses reads terminfo.

Curses: Xterm, please ^[[44m

Xterm reads RESOURCE_MANAGER (loaded from .Xdefaults)

Xterm:  Xlib, XSetForeground(dpy, gc, blue_pixel)

Xlib:   X11, SetGCValues gc GCForeground blue_pixel

X11:    draw stuff as blue_pixel

vidcard:send electricity down blue wire

monitor:light blue pixel

===== SEPARATOR ====

Points of control:

1: .muttrc

2: Terminfo (upgraded libncurses would change this)

3: X Resources / X Defaults (changed by upgrading Xterm, if not
   overriden by .Xdefaults)

4: Videocard palette - if you use an 8bit/4bit video mode, you could be
   running a color-hogging program and Xterm has to settle for a similar
   color.

5: Wiring mistake in the cabling/monitor.  If dist-upgrade changed that,
   call a paranormal-occurences hotline :)

Order of Probability:

3: likely
2: possible