My Blues just go more blue

Ok, I just did a dist-upgrade on my Sid machine and blue text changed.
I first noticed in mutt that my light blue lines got darker -- I see
it in the background color in the header line, for example:

  ---Mutt: =lists.debian-user [Msgs:6754 New:6263 Flag:1 Post:47 Inc:1]---(threads/date)------(end)---

Use to be light blue and now it's dark blue.

And when I reply to a message (I use vim as my editor) the quoted text
whet from a readable light blue text on black background to an unreadable dark
blue on black background.

What would be the common change?  I realize I don't understand how
colors from, say, mutt or vim running in an xterm get translated into
colors on my monitor.  Does mutt say "blue" and then the xterm has to
translate that somehow?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org