Re: partition/grub errors w/sarge iso

Russel Hill wrote:

Rob Benton wrote:

Hey I posted a couple weeks ago about not being able to boot w/grub after installing from a sarge iso. I wound up returning the drive b/c I thought it was bad. I got a new one in yesterday and I'm still having the same problems.

install root to hdb1.
install grub to hdb1.
reboot
grub fails, machine locks

When I did an install w/one of the older woody CDs I did not have these problems. My suspicion is that the partitions are being created incorrectly.

Has anyone else run into any problems like this lately?

This sounds similar to a problem we've been fighting with. We build debian based ISOs from a set of script files. Through at least the middle of June the ISOs were fine. In early, July we started getting ISOs that would fail in a manner similar to this.

We have a temporary fix for the problem by installing the capacity limit jumpers on the 40GB drives we've been using... This has the effect of limiting the capacity of the drive to 32GB ... and making our ISOs install correctly.

Virtually all of our ISOs will install fine on a smaller drive.

DISCLAIMER: This email is bound by the terms and conditions described at
http://www.key.net/disclaimer.htm

Yeah I've got a Seagate Barracuda 40 GB. I think the next thing I'll try is using cfdisk to create my partitions and then just use the sarge iso for installing. I'll report back later.