Re: NFS, Samba, something more obscure?

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 11:33:28PM -0400, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 17:28 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> > The other obvious choice would be Samba, which would have advantages since I
> > sometimes boot my laptop into Windows XP.  I also hear it's more secure than
> > NFS (?) but much harder to set up.
>
> It's really not that hard at all. On a debian system, to share out home
> directories with full read/write permissions:
>
> apt-get install samba
> edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and under the [homes] section, set "writable =
> yes"
> as root, run "smbpasswd -a username" for a user who should be able to
> access their home
>
> then from a client "smbmount //server/<username> /mnt/point -o
> username=<username>"
>
> pretty simple really, repeat the smbpasswd part as needed for each user.

I know this was written weeks ago, but I just got around to trying it.  MAN,
that was easy.  Following your instructions, I got Samba working from my
Sarge tower to my XP Home laptop in literally under two minutes, including
the download time for Samba.

When I checked in the Windows Explorer, I found not only my home directory
but my CUPS-queued printer automatically visible!  This was really easy and
really useful:  thank you very much, Mark.

Stephen Patterson had raised the issue of using NFS in addition to Samba to
retain permission information.  I suppose I could, but I think that in cases
where that matters I'll just use a tar/untar in addition to Samba.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go thank the Samba team.  This is really
cool stuff.  Thanks to everyone who answered my original question.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading