Re: NFS, Samba, something more obscure?

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 17:28 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> I've never used NFS, but everything I read says it's highly insecure.  OTOH,
> my network sits behind a Belkin router with only my own systems as nodes.

NFS is very easy to set up, you do need to make sure your uids match
between systems, but that's the only big caveat in terms of setup.

> The other obvious choice would be Samba, which would have advantages since I
> sometimes boot my laptop into Windows XP.  I also hear it's more secure than
> NFS (?) but much harder to set up.

It's really not that hard at all. On a debian system, to share out home
directories with full read/write permissions:

apt-get install samba
edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and under the [homes] section, set "writable =
yes"
as root, run "smbpasswd -a username" for a user who should be able to
access their home

then from a client "smbmount //server/<username> /mnt/point -o
username=<username>"

pretty simple really, repeat the smbpasswd part as needed for each user.

> For all I know there are other filesystem-sharing methods I'm not familiar
> with at all.

If you are using a desktop environment such as kde or gnome you can use
ssh as a file transfer protocol.

-Mark