Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:23:16AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Thomas Adam writes:
> > As I have said, if the file was created by an application, then it
> > clearly cannot belong to a package.
>
> The question was about files created by the maintainer scripts.

Was it now? I don't believe so, although files created by "maintainer scripts"
is one aspect to the question. But the answer will still be the same. I'm not
sure how many times I have to re-iterate it, but: "If a file is created by an
application, then the file will not be part of any package, unless the file in
question was already part of the package."

> Just off the top of my head I see no reason why these files could not be
> included in the package empty and filled in by the scripts.  This would
> identify the files as belonging to the package and also allow dpkg to
> remove them, eliminating the need for the postrm to do so.

The overhead in doing this is stupid, and having a lot of empty files in /etc
is just pointless.

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.