Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:49:57AM -0400, Jason Rennie wrote:
> Geez.  Try answering the question, not insulting the guy.  The dpkg
> man page is unclear on what -S does:

I wasn't insulting anybody. The *words* were there, only to place emphasis on
the fundamental differences in operation.

>               dpkg -S | --search filename-search-pattern ...
>                   Search for a filename from installed packages.

How is this unclear, exactly?

> So, is there a dpkg option that allows one to determine from which
> package a file came?  Or, is there some other program that can provide
> this information?

dpkg -S is only ever useful if you want to check to see whether a file comes
from a package installed on your system. As I have said, if the file was
created by an application, then it clearly cannot belong to a package. No
information is retained to the creating program, other than *possibly*
debconf's database.

If you want to search for files in packages that you do not have installed,
then apt-file is your friend.

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.