Re: Rant about installer features (Re: Progeny)

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 09:20 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
> > Paul Gear wrote:

> >> I tried it as an easy way of getting Sarge installed.  It looks pretty
> >> good, but it didn't detect my SATA drives for some reason, and the GUI
> >> hung when it found some config files that were modified and VC4 started
> >> asking about them.  It looks like a good possibility for us Red Hat
> >> refugees, though.
> > Indeed.
> > Just for laughs, how does FC go on that box?
>
> Nothing to laugh about - it just works.  Perfectly, straight out of the
> box.  No mucking about, just create the partitions i want (RAID 1 on
> everything: /, /boot, and swap) and install.  So does SuSE Personal 9.1.

Too bad. MD Raid is tough for a bootable setup with automated tools. I
have a workaround to get it to work proper.

If you want I can help you through that.

> (Rant begins here)
>
> I'm finding this mailing list a little hard to cope with.  Some people
> on it think they know everything about Linux because they've been using
> Debian for 3 years.  I've been using Linux for 10 years, but because i
> didn't use Debian from the beginning, i get treated like a newbie who
> doesn't understand what RAID is and obviously needs to "go back to
> Windows" since i don't think Debian's features are up to scratch and i
> think GUI installers are easier to use.  For crying out loud, the last
> version of Windows that was the main OS on my PC was *Win95*, 9 years ago!

Well, I haven't been that lucky. I had to use Windows as my primary
until 1999. Since then, it has been everything Linuc, FreeBSD, RedHat
and Debian

> When are you people (not you, John) going to realise that it's not just
> Windoze lusers that expect things to just work?  That's the main reason
> i used Red Hat for so many years (from Red Hat Linux 4.2 through Fedora
> Core 1).

I jumped ship from RedHat long before that. RH7.3 is the Last version I
installed from ANYONE. Customers included.

> The reason i'm trying to change over to Debian is because of Red Hat's
> new(-ish) model of only providing experimental distributions for free
> and charging more than Sun & Microsoft for their stable distributions.
> The release churn is too great on Fedora.  (Of course, apt-get is a
> great feature, but Fedora is coming close now, with apt and yum.)

I am supporting the existing 7.3- with yum. Using www.fedoralegacy.org
awesome. But not quite Debian... :)

> Sorry for the venting, but i imagine i'm not alone - there are plenty of
> Red Hat refugees around, and i was almost sold on Debian before i even
> installed it.  You can make some significant new converts by just taking
> our concerns seriously.

We aren't called Snobbians fer nothing. Another common term I ave seen:
Dweebians.

Don't let us get you down.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net