Re: [Debian-user] Woody to Sarge?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 06:40:33PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:04:03PM +0530, Didar Hussain wrote:
> > Also, how long should I wait after Sarge goes Gold. Should
> > I just s/woody/sarge/g and do
>
> I recommend you use the names 'stable', 'testing', 'unstable' in
> sources.list, so that you don't have to change it for the codenames.
> Stable is *always* Stable, but woody != Sarge when things change.

I strongly recommend against that (except for unstable since it doesn't
matter).  Upgrades between stable distributions absolutely require
manual attention, and shouldn't be performed until the admin intends to
make the full upgrade.

Sticking with 'testing' after a release is just stupid.  Just stay with
the codename when it becomes stable.  Later, you can upgrade again to
the next codenamed testing when it's back in shape for the next release.

--
You win again, gravity!