Re: [Debian-user] Woody to Sarge?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:04:03PM +0530, Didar Hussain wrote:

> I've got a couple of servers running Woody. Now, when Sarge
> comes along in a few weeks, how do I upgrade?

Read the fine release notes.  They document how upgrades should be
performed.

> Also, how long should I wait after Sarge goes Gold. Should
> I just s/woody/sarge/g and do
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade

I strongly recommend against using 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to do the
upgrade (aptitude, dselect, or another frontend are a much better bet).
Again, see the release notes.

> Or would a fresh install from a netinstaller be more advisable?

Only if you installed so many backports that your system differs wildly
from vanilla woody.  Even then, it's a judgment call and depends on the
quality of the backports.

--
You win again, gravity!