Re: /proc/loadavg disagrees with top and ps

John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> said on Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:34:03 +0800:
> Tim Connors wrote:
> >Oh - and the waiting 5 seconds for your bash *shell* to echo a single
> >character keypress. <shudder>.
>
> At present I'm working from home by dialup. I frequently run gvim as a
> scratch-pad from which to multiclick and paste commands into my
> multitudinous terminals. Otheriwse the dialup would be unusable while
> getting my Sarge fixes, my email, checking /..
>
> Well, not the last.
>
> Pings often exceed 5 secs.

Slightly different story though. I'm talking about a local connection
not letting bash get enough timeslices to be able to register a
keypress and display it.

But I do frequently get ping times and ssh responses of 5 seconds over
my 1500mbit ADSL, because someone happens to be uploading an ISO or
whatever. I really would like it if our router did traffic shaping (I
don't want to have to get another box to do the shaping for us, and
then have to pay the electricity)

I just forbade my housemate from uploading ISOs while I was trying to
work :)

            Computer screens simply ooze buckets of yang.
    To balance this, place some women around the corners of the room.
                                        -- Kaz Cooke, Dumb Feng Shui