Re: /proc/loadavg disagrees with top and ps

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> /proc/loadavg currently reports the following:
>
>   0.96 0.98 0.78 1/116 23994
>
> xload also reports roughly the same.
>
> But top and ps both report a nearly idle system (98% idle). What is going
> on? How can I find out what is causing my system to be so busy?

I've seen load averages of 14 and 16 when the CPU usage was on 10%.  The
two are usually, but not necessarily, related.  There are certain types
of work where this behaviour will be seen.  Even low amounts of I/O to a
slow device, if done by enough processes could cause this.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>