Re: /proc/loadavg disagrees with top and ps

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:03, Paul Gear wrote:
> Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > /proc/loadavg currently reports the following:
> >
> >   0.96 0.98 0.78 1/116 23994
> >
> > xload also reports roughly the same.
> >
> > But top and ps both report a nearly idle system (98% idle). What is going
> > on? How can I find out what is causing my system to be so busy?
>
> I've seen load averages of 14 and 16 when the CPU usage was on 10%.  The
> two are usually, but not necessarily, related.  There are certain types
> of work where this behaviour will be seen.  Even low amounts of I/O to a
> slow device, if done by enough processes could cause this.

Or how about a multi-threaded App server running hundreds(thousands in
some cases) of servlets a minute... I admin'd a 32 Processor, 32GB of
Memory machine that was capable of running a couple of thousand servlets
a minute.

The load average on this machine usually stood at about 120-150 on a
busy day. On rush days, sometime 270+. With no effect on inter-active
logins or performance... though I did have to re-configure some of the
other services to accept connections at high LA. (like the MTA)
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux