Re: can a SSH server initiate a connection?

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:05:54PM +0100, rich wrote:
> > Do you control firewall?
> >   If yes : use DNAT to redirect external connection to SSH server
> >              (if firewall is NAT box)
> >            or open port 22 and forward connectio to internal hosts
>
> There's a firewall I control (which allows port 22 so long as the SYN packet
> comes from inside), but that's behind a NAT router, so the only way to "find"
> my server on the internet is if IT initiates the connection.

Something like:
 1. INPUT ACCEPT: port 22 even for external to internal connection.
 2. PREROUTING DNAT: to reroute connection to internal box.
 3  FORWARD ACCEPT: allow external port 22 connection to inside

Please try ipmasq package from unstable and read examples.
It should cleanly install even to woody :-)
Hmm... after security fix, I may need some fix for this 3rd item.

Osamu