Re: Start postgresql for the first time

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:40:06 +0200, Bob Parnes wrote:
> After using mysql for several years, I decided to try the testing
> version of postgresql, but I cannot get started. I cannot log in to
> create users, and I cannot create a database.
>
> According to the documentation, the system contains a predefined user,
> 'postgres'. However, when I run
>
> psql -U postgres
>
> I get the error message, 'No database specified'. When I run
>
> psql -U postgres -l
>
> I get the message, 'IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"'.

The defualt setup (see /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf) is to only allow users
to access postgresql databases if their postgres username matches
their linux username.

To create database user accounts, log in as root, su to postgres and
run createuser. As postgres, you can run createdb to create empty databases.

--
Stephen Patterson http://patter.mine.nu/
steveSPAM@.patter.mine.nu  remove SPAM to reply