Re: Re: Sound troubles

>> I blacklisted the OSS modules for both discover and hotplug, as
>> described in the alsa-base docs. Loaded modules now have only snd-
>> modules, including snd-pcm-oss:
>>
>> aloysha:~# lsmod
>> Module                  Size  Used by
>> snd_pcm_oss            53668  0
><snipped>
>
>Yes, that seems right. How did you load all these modules? Did ALSA do
>this automatically or did you add modules to /etc/modules?

Discover and/or hotplug did this all automatically, except for snd-pcm-oss, which I loaded by hand (i.e. via modprobe).

>Please check your devices. I have:
>
>dfokkema@sirius:dfokkema$ ls -l /dev/dsp0
>crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp0
>dfokkema@sirius:dfokkema$ ls -l /dev/dsp*
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp0
>crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp0
>crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  19 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp1
>crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  35 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp2
>crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  51 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp3

I have:

aloysha:~# ls -l /dev/dsp*
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 23 18:14 /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  19 Jun 23 18:14 /dev/dsp1
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  35 Jun 23 18:14 /dev/dsp2
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  51 Jun 23 18:14 /dev/dsp3

By the way, I have now removed hotplug (which also required removing udev and gnome-volume-manager) and re-run MAKEDEV. This solved the problem.

I suspect the right thing to do at this point is to file a bug against udev and try to work with the udev maintainer. If you would like to be involved in that dialog, I'm happy to continue to CC you.

Thanks again,
David