debian on a sony vaio xmp laptop : no sound and no modem

Hello,

I need help for configuring sound and modem on a sony laptop running debian
(testing/unstable) with a 2.6.7 kernel built with the required alsa drivers, I hope.
Here is the way I've proceeded.

   o Using lspci, the sound+modem card is identified as follows

+ Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03) + Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Generic])

o I've then configured the kernel so that the snd_intel8x0 (audio) and (snd_intel8x0m) alsa drivers be built as modules. Of course, the sound support have been enabled (soundcore
      module)

o In order to order to handle the modem, I've installed the sl-modem-daemon package. I've also installed the sl-modem-source and compiled the correspoding modules, slamr and slusb (here, I'm not sure that building these modules along with the alsa
      inteli8x0m is a correct decision).

o Here is the way the sound is configured, (contents of the files correspond to the native setup)

       + /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base :

install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm && /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss

       + /etc/modprobe.d/sound

           options snd  device_mode=0660
           alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
           alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

o After having booted the machine, things seem to run fine as confirmed (?) by these lines extracted from the output of lsmod (when playing a music cd)

           snd_intel8x0           30472  2
           snd_intel8x0m        16712  0
           snd_ac97_codec     66628  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m
           snd_pcm_oss          49704  0
           snd_mixer_oss        17664  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 83556 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_pcm_oss
           snd_timer               20356  1 snd_pcm
           snd_page_alloc        9096  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_pcm
           snd_mpu401_uart    6016  1 snd_intel8x0
           snd_rawmidi           19648  1 snd_mpu401_uart
           snd_seq_device        6664  1 snd_rawmidi
snd 46180 10 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec, snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer, snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
           soundcore                7072  3 snd

o But there's no sound coming out. Even the beep one hears when trying for instance to do a bash completion doesn't occur. Please note that I've checked the volume setup
      using either aumix or alsamixer:  things seems ok.

o Finally, when trying to connect at home using the modem nothing happens.

+ The intel8x0m module is loaded, as well as the slamr module (from: sl-modem-source)

+ There is a "failed (NO DIALTONE)" diagnostic reported in /var/log/messages.

I'm not able to see what is wrong in my setup. I hope I've given enough details so that
you can help me.  I thank you in advance.

Regards,
Max

Latevi Max LAWSON DAKU Departement de chimie physique Universite de Geneve - Sciences II 30, quai Ernest-Ansermet CH-1211 Geneve 4 Switzerland
Tel: (41) 22/379 6548 ++ Fax: (41) 22/379 6103