Re: can't access postfix pop

On (09/06/04 13:55), Ignatz Sol wrote:
<original post by ignaz and my reply snipped>

> You are correct for as much as I explained.  The box needs to:
>
> 1) serve as the SMTP gateway to local users

If you by gateway you mean that the box in question - Box A) is the
final destination for mail sent to your domain (highest priority in MX
record) you _do_ need postfix. For outbound mail if it is just a few clients
they _could_ just configure their mail clients with the name of your ISP
mail server and send it directly themselves. But if it's any size LAN
you're probably right to install Postfix and have them send through it.
As you noted your original post didn't mention all aspects of the
situation.

> 2) fetch remote mail from pop servers and store it until the local
> user requests it

This was in your original post and I think my previous reply has addressed it.

> 3) detect when mail is sent locally to someone else who is local and
> keep it local, i.e. if joe@boo.com sends mail to john@boo.com I want
> the box to just keep it

Ahh.. well, this might preclude dropping postfix even if your SMTP
gateway only needs to receive mail. Do you run a local dns server?

> I was under the impression that SMTP would require postfix, but if I
> can get away without it that might be cool too.  Later I want to add
> SpamAssassin as well.
Your impression is correct but as noted above your original q. didn't
make it 100% clear that you needed it. Apologies for confusion on my
part.

> None of this is difficult.  I had it working before in woody.  I
> upgraded to sarge and had some problems, so I reinstalled sarge.  I
> was at the beginning of development, so I figured it wouldn't be hard
> to remake everything.  But now I can't get it to work!  Can anyone
> help me?

All the best, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Yet another pointless psuedo-sig