Re: Firefox hangs when URL entered in address bar

"Will Maier" <willmaier@ml1.net> writes:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:36:29 -0700, "Brian Nelson" <pyro@debian.org>
> said:
>> It could be a DNS problem I suppose.  Attach an strace to the firefox
>> process and see if it's getting stuck on a system call.
> I ran an strace as you suggested; it's the first time I've used strace,
> so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. It did appear to hang on a
> call. Again, I'm not sure what to look for. I can attach or send an
> strace if that'd be helpful -- would you be able to suggest flags or a
> method of reading the output that might make it more clear?

The output can be very verbose, so concentrate on the system functions
that are called while firefox is frozen.  Every system function has a
manpage (in manpages-dev and glibc-doc), so you can look up to see what
each function does.  If it's stuck on a particular call, look it
up--hopefully you will get a clue of what's going wrong based on what
that function is supposed to be doing.

If nothing turns up, you can try attaching gdb to the process and
breaking in to see where in the code it's stuck.  You may need to build
firefox locally and run the unstripped binary through gdb to get useful
output.

--
You win again, gravity!