Firefox hangs when URL entered in address bar

Hi all-

I've googled this one and come up dry, so here goes...

I'm running Sid on an iBook laptop (congrats to the netinstall team for a
smooth and simple install process!). Everything is working great: fluxbox
is making the most of the old G3, openoffice loads in a minute or so
(oy!) and I can do most anything I want. Except, for some reason, run
firefox.

When I start firefox either through an xterm or the fluxbox menu, the
programs loads ok (a bit slow, but nothing terrible) and then waits
patiently for me to give it a URL. I can click in the addressbar, but
when I begin to type, the program seems to freeze: the cursor stays in
"text mode" with the little "I" shaped bar unless I move it out of the
program window. If I switch desktops and then come back, the title bar of
the window is still there, but the window itself is gone (as if shaded).
All this "goes away" and the program runs as expected after a few minutes
of waiting.

During the hang, I can run other programs just fine; top shows that
firefox drops off the map for the duration of the hang and then jumps to
the top when it returns to normal.

I'm not sure where to look for the problem on this one. I have another
computer running Sid and firefox and I haven't experienced any problems.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the iBook...

Thanks in advance! I'm pretty happy just to have a cute little laptop to
port around running my favority distro. I'll have to put something over
the apple logos though; perhaps a tux.

Will Maier