Re: How long can we avoid using kernel 2.6.x ?

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:56:16 +0100
Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> Is it going to become essential or at least highly
> desirable to shift to the new kernels in the near future?

Considering that the 2.0 and 2.2 kernel trees are still being
maintained, and that there are servers out there running both,
I don't think you need to hurry to adopt 2.6 for fear of 2.4
being abandoned.  That eventuality is probably a long way off.
So your transition should be driven by what you can get out
of it, and whether it's worth it to you.

I haven't tried it yet, because I keep seeing people (here and
on other lists) complaining about various problems; I wanna wait
until the rate of complaints drops enough, especially with regard
to latency issues.  But when that happens, I'll switch promptly
because of various enhancements that are advertised to speed up
the desktop tremendously.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)