Re: How long can we avoid using kernel 2.6.x ?

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 04:56:16PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I've tried kernel 2.6.6 and encounter various problems: one is that
> magicfilter no longer works properly and another is that I don't find a
> config entry for my usb Epson scanner. Others will probably emerge later.
>
> No doubt I can find solutions to all such problems with a lot of work
> but why should I bother, considering that 2.4.26 is working perfectly
> well for me? Is it going to become essential or at least highly
> desirable to shift to the new kernels in the near future?

I personally don't anticipate upgrading any of my production kernels for
6 months to a year, or even longer. From a security perspective, the
2.4 kernels will continue to be actively maintained, so the only reason
to switch is if you need something in the 2.6 kernel that the 2.4 kernel
doesn't provide.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA