Komodo IDE C library incompatibility

ActiveState's Komodo editor fails to start on my Sarge system, giving
an error:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3:

A post to the Komodo user list states that it requires an older
version of the C library: libc-2.3.2-3_i386.

Two questions:

What Debian package provides this libc version (I don't
understand the difference of the version numbering for 'libc' &
'libc6)?

How can I prevent installation of an earlier libc from conflicting with
the current one?
Andrew Malcolmson