Re: package removal

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Chris Metzler wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:28:18 +0200 (METDST)
> Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ewi.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> >
> > with the testing dist-upgrade I did last week, some packages were
> > removed. Usually I trust apt and Debian not to remove application
> > packages, but this time it removed xv.
>
> For something to be removed, you have to answer "y" to the question
> of whether you want them to be.  Presumably, you did.

true, and I was intending to reinstall it after the upgrade was complete.

Problem is: apt doesn't allow you to choose which packages are not to
removed: it's either all or nothing. Choosing "n" will cause apt to abort
the upgrade, so that wasn't really an option.

> > Now I can't find this package in the Debian tree anymore, neither did
> > apt give me a reason why this package has been obsoleted or came with an
> > alternative.
> >
> > Ideas where to find information why packages are obsoleted and removed
> > from the tree?
>
> Google?  The archives of this mailing list?  Both contain info on
> why xv was removed from Debian.  I went to Google and did a search
> on "xv removed Debian" and the very first result contained an
> answer to your question.

the magic of typing the right words.

Thanks!
Sebastiaan

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)